Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Manila or Bust!

2/6/2006, 8:30pm, Eastern US Time

2/7/2006, 9:30am, Manila Time

Current location: En route, a little over 4 hours from Tokyo, Japan

Well, so far we like Northwest much better than American. There isn’t anything wrong with this flight per se, but the seats don’t recline as much, and the food is not nearly as good. Despite the fact that I drank about 2 liters of water on this flight alone and have minimized the alcohol (as is wise to do on long flights), I feel nauseous. Also, the personal video system is not interactive. The movies are all scheduled and so you have to wait until the time for the movie to be scheduled to watch it, which is a drag. I waited an hour for Walk the Line to start. It was a really good movie, though, so the wait was OK in that case. I can’t get Tim to watch it. I think he’d like it, but it probably is more of a Kendra movie. I like pretty much any movie with extreme and conflicted characters. People who accomplish great things publicly also often are flawed and end up having to deal with that in public too. (Everyone is flawed, but it isn’t as obvious in internally focused people). Anyway, Johnny Cash is a great example of this.

The time is passing OK on the flight. I am tired, but can’t sleep, and just as I was getting sleepy some genius on the other side of the aisle decided to open her stupid window shade to reveal an extremely bright sun in my eyes. Thanks. Appreciate that. I’ll be sure to think of her when I am expected to attend a meeting just hours after landing and am beat.

In addition to watching a movie, I also colored a few pictures in the Care Bears coloring book that Joe and Dana gave us in our adventure pack at the party. I was also reading the book that my Uncle Sam gave us (Markings), but Tim is reading it now. It seems like it will be a good book. Occasionally, he points out passages to me to read. I also like introspective books like the Siddartha and other books about people’s journeys. People are rarely what they are perceived to be.

I am a little sad right now, because I know that I am really going to miss our house and Philadelphia. I’m hardly there, and the fact that I was there for 2 weeks in a row makes me sadder to leave it. However, I know that this assignment will be very good – both for Tim and I and for work. Don’t get me wrong – I think that Tim and I’s life together over the past almost 7 years has been great. We might not have a conventional marriage, but we have developed other aspects of our relationship, communication, understanding, and trust that a lot of people in more conventional arrangements don’t have the opportunity to develop. Now we will get the opportunity for having dinner together, seeing each other during the weekdays, experiencing a new location and new challenges together, etc. Who knows what or where my next assignment will be – traveling or at home. Whatever it is, we will deal with it.

The nature of marriages and families are changing constantly, as the family adapts to changes in careers, education, economy, etc. I’m sure people reading this have all kinds of opinions on that shift and the benefits or damage it causes, but we are adaptable creatures. And because we are both adaptable creatures, we will have numerous changes, shifts, and adventures in our lives. It is this trait of Tim that made me want to marry him. He will always come with me, and be excited about it – not drug along.

In addition to the aforementioned annoyances of this flight, almost every fingernail of mine has decided to become a hang nail. Only Jen (my sister) can help the hang nails, and I have no idea what to do to get rid of them. I supposed I’ll go to the spa at our apartment and tape my fingernails tight so that they do not hurt in the meantime.

Well, at this point we have just under 3 hours remaining of this flight and they should serve supper in the next hour or so. I will turn the paper over to Tim to add any thoughts he has.

-----------------------

As I expected would happen, I only came to realization of the magnitude of our journey after all our farewells and goodbyes had ended. I’m know I’m not the most adept in large social gatherings and I’m fine with that, but it really does suck when you actually wish you could go back and say the heartfelt goodbyes that seem so important to me as I’m right now on a plane over the Pacific Ocean.

It never really hit me that I was leaving for this long until last night, as we were taking out the final bags of garbage and leftover food that wouldn’t last 6 months in the fridge. Knowing that it was our final night in our bed in Philly and the act of unplugging the whole entertainment system from the wall after the Super Bowl was a tad bit overwhelming. A great house, an awesome city and a fantastic bunch of the greatest family & friends imaginable makes it a little tough when you think about not being back for so long, and I’m sorry if the true extent of my feelings weren’t quite apparent to those of you who cared so much to be with us Saturday night at Dave & Busters.

However, even with all that, now that all the preparations and packing is over and we’re on the plane and I’m putting this all out on paper, I can’t help but feel the most incredible, uncontrollable excitement for what the next 6 months have to hold for Kendra and I. I almost can’t sleep. I can’t wait to land. I can’t wait to fall asleep from exhaustion and wake up in a new day in a new world with a new adventure. I can’t wait to unpack the small amount of belongings that Kendra and I have brought with us to create our new home in the Philippines. I can’t wait to be able to actually see each other every day. I can’t wait to tell each other about the odd, funny, interesting and amazing things we’ve experienced in this foreign country. I can’t wait to see the wonderful people we’ve met there again and learn to know more. And especially I can’t wait to use this medium to it’s fullest extent to share all of this with all of you.

Kendra’s uncle Sam gave us a great book right before we left, about the spiritual journey of Dag Hammarskjold, former Secretary General of the U.N. I’ve been reading it here on the plane, and although I’ll never admit to fully comprehending all of it’s contents (I've never been a huge fan of the haiku), it’s clear it has enough to teach all of us some great truths. I’ll see if I can do a daily post from it on here (as long as I can find meaning in it!).

Thanks for your attention through this extra-long post! We appreciate your interest and support as we start this grand adventure off! See you when we wake up!!

Tim

1 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Blogger Dad said...

Wake up to a new world! I hope you're both asleep as I write this (1:30 AM your time)and share your anticipation of tomorrow as you start to settle in and arrange a little portion of your life for the next several months.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home