Monday, March 13, 2006

Sad Morning in March

This morning on my way to work, my car passed by a terrible accident about one minute after it had occurred. My driver started getting really nervous and swearing quietly to himself. I looked out the window and there was a man, obviously dead by the extent of his head injuries, lying sprawled on the road. A bus had hit him. I saw enough. Even with contacts, my vision is not the greatest and for once I am thankful for that. I wanted the police to come to stop all the traffic so people wouldn't look at him and at least cover him up for God's sake. (The people at work told me later that he had been covered at least).

This doesn't come as a huge surprise, of course, with all the erratic traffic patterns, congested roads and considering that (very sadly) pedestrians being killed by vehicles is not new and not specific to here.

I was heart broken though. It is so undignified to be killed that way, and it was very impactful because I have seen very few dead bodies in real life. I was so sad for his family. I have for a long time had a great deal of empathy for people when I can put myself in their place. No matter who people are and no matter what they might be going through in life, they have a family and someone who loves them or have loved them in the past (if their family is no longer living).


I said a prayer for his family at work. Everyone at work was very sad (that part of Ayala Ave. is unavoidable when coming into the office) and some of the girls were crying.

I also became panicked for Tim and told him to be extra careful and use the under and over passes whenever possible. The sight really compounded my feeling of isolation and made me feel very far away from home.

All of you that I love, please be extra careful! We will be careful too!

1 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger Dad said...

What a traumatic experience, and what compassion you have. Glad to hear you're trying to be careful. We'll do the same. No day is exempt from its dangers in this world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home