Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Philadelphia Record Store

This past Saturday, while Kendra was visiting friends in North Carolina, I grabbed the camera and took a walk around town. It was a cold and windy day, but the sun was out and so were alot of people.

It's been a while since I just took the camera and headed out with no real direction in mind - not since so many of those kinds of days in the foreign environment of Manila-, so it felt a little odd to be walking around my own local neighborhoods with a camera...it's not like I was going to be running into any wet markets, locksmiths, SWAT teams or poker players.

But I was in search of something visually interesting to document, so I braved the cold and headed south. The low temperatures and blustery wind may have quickened my pace and decreased my awareness- it took me about 7 blocks or so for me to find anything remotely interesting, but when I found it, it was a gold mine.

I don't know what it is about a store crammed full of old vinyl records that appeals to my photographic eye- maybe it's all the repeating lines and patterns-, but the Philadelphia Record Exchange on South St. has all that atmosphere and more (like a bench painted in American flag colors in the basement and dozens of dog-eared box sets of Bach recordings).

Here's what I came out with:










[A little further down on Bainbridge is a collection of brightly colored South Philly townhomes]

[Walking back home on North 3rd St, I happened apon one of the Old City boutiques with a unique marketing method:]

3 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Blogger Dad said...

Tim:You continue to demonstrate an eye for the out-of-the-ordinary, unique, one-of-a-kind subjects. Even when you do shoot something quite ordinary, it is from a not-so-ordinary point of view - angle, lighting, framing, etc.

For example the two Record Exchange signs had to be shot from a specific angle to get the effect of their perpendicularity (is that a word?).

The stacked records at different angles is great in B&W - no color to distract from the contrasting lines.

The shot down the stairs to the record case below gives a sense of the place, including the worn out carpet on the steps.

I loved the South Philly townhomes - colorful with the right lighting and again, a teriffic angle to emphasize the style.

Always a joy to look through your eyes at your world.

Oh yes, great job on the roses.s

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Isabel's Mommy said...

You have such a great eye and a fantastic talent. My favorite is the first one of the the outside of the record shop, as well as the B&W of the records.

Does your dad have the same talent?

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Kendra said...

:-)

I can vouch that this talent for photography runs in the family. Family trips in visually interesting areas can be quite the experience as Tim and Gene often notice the same flower, the same tree, the same cloud, etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home