Monday, February 12, 2007

Trip to Washington D.C. and Winston-Salem

I am taking some time off right now - actually a month. Although the great majority of my time off is being spent catching up with family obligations and determining what is next for me job wise, I took a long weekend to visit a few friends I haven't seen in quite a while.

Tim had to travel Wednesday and Thursday night for a show at the Westin Grand in Washington D.C. I took the Amtrak and the Metro there on Wednesday afternoon to spend that afternoon with him and with our friend Brian Horst.

It was nice to see what takes Tim away so often. He had set up the conference room very professionally of course and gave Brian and I a tour. As for me, it was nice to just be able to decompress a bit and read some good books and drink wine in the afternoon. By the time the weekend was over, I had read Never Let Me Go and The Handmaiden's Tale. I highly recommend both of them.

After Tim was released from work on Wednesday night, we had a great dinner with Brian at Asia Nora. The food was great! We followed dinner with a few drinks at McFadden's. Whenever we get the opportunity to spend time with old friends, we don't want the evening to end! We all got home quite late - especially Brian who I'm sure was very tired the next morning for work.

Thursday morning I woke up and relaxed at the hotel for awhile. I headed to Union station on the Metro late morning for my LOOOONG Amtrak ride to High Point, NC. It was nice to have so much time to think, although at the same time, it was nerve wracking. I'm so stressed out about my next role at work that it is hard to have so much time to think. I mostly read and tried to tune out the talkative people around me.

I was heading to North Carolina to see Rebecca again. She is a very good friend of mine from the Epylon (San Francisco) and State of North Carolina projects I spent nearly 3 years on in total. She and Luke had a baby about 6 months ago, and I have yet to meet her! The baby is Annabelle and she is adorable, as I would soon find out.

Rebecca came to pick me up from the Amtrak station and took me back to their cute house. It was great to see her again, and of course, we picked up right where we left off.

We had several great days of catching up, talking, eating great meals, and playing with Annabelle (or "Belly" as Rebecca calls her). On Saturday night, we invited Jonathan Trappe over. Jonathan is another friend from Epyone and State of North Carolina, and it was so great to see him again!

Rebecca and Luke are sleep deprived and very busy. Luke is in medical school and will start his residency next year. Rebecca works full time. Both are very occupied with the baby and very involved with her. She also seemed to have started teething again during the weekend and kept them both up most of the night.

Despite all of this, they were great hosts. I tried to help out with what I could.

Here are some pictures taken from the weekend:


[The gremlin in the Philadelphia LOVE shirt we bought for her]


[The proud Mommy and "Belly"]



[Jonathan holding the baby for the first time]



[Sucking her thumb]



[The lovely family]


On Monday I spent 12 hours getting home on Amtrak. The ride wasn't bad until I had finished my last book and my butt started feeling like a squashed tomato!

Until the next adventure...

2 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you have Jonathan Trappe call me? 415-409-4923. Cat

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Stacey said...

Interesting to know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home