Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year - 2008!

Continuing with the theme of completely non-standard holiday celebrations, let me recap to you how Tim and I have spent some of our New Year's Eves since getting married**:

- Driving home from being out of town and missing the ball drop, because we couldn't find parking. (I actually think this happened twice).
- Apart because Jen and Jason had come up for the event, Jen was sick (not drinking sick, legitimately sick), so Tim ended up taking her ticket to the party and I took Jen home. (Poor sister)!
- Half-crying because it was the first year after Dick Clark's stroke, and it broke my heart to see the change in him. (At the same time, I was super proud of him for continuing on).

We aren't extremely superstitious, but there definitely is a feeling that how you ring in the New Year dictates to a certain extent how the rest of your year is going to go. So, I always hated when things like the above happen. (Except-the-time-with-my-sister- because-I-love-spending-time-with-her- even-if-she-is-puking-on-my-shoes- and-no-one-will-pick-us-up-in-a-cab-to-take-us-home- because-they-think-she-is-drunk- and-I'm-grateful-when-one-of-them-finally-shows-mercy-because-it-is-freezing- and-Jen-has- my-coat-because-she-wore-a-tank-top-and-I'm-afraid-she-might-die).

Well, this year we went to a proper party with friends, and it was great! Jon and his wife Amy invited us to their New Year's Eve party which had an Indian food theme since they are leaving shortly for an extended trip around India! Jon works with Tim, and I liked them from the first time I met them. They are such beautiful, relaxed, laid back people that it would be very hard NOT to completely fall in love with them.

Tim and I both made it back from work on the 31st at a reasonable time, found parking in Old City (right by our front door Woohoo!), cooked up the ingredients I had prepared earlier, and then took a cab to their house in Fairmount.

Tim brought some bottles of Yuengling's Lord Chesterfield Ale and I brought my trusty flask of JD. It takes serious dedication to Jack to drink it straight, but it takes serious dedication to sobriety to drink only a single beer on New Year's Eve (Kendra = not a beer drinker), and my dedication to Jack is stronger.

[Cell Phone pictures on New Years Eve!]

The party had a great vibe. The music was fun, the food was wonderful, and there were a ton of interesting people that they had gotten to know through their jobs, school, just around, or some band or another that Jon had been in. People were mingling and even started dancing after awhile.

Closer to midnight, Jon projected the TV onto the wall so that we could do the countdown. There were lots of high fives and New Year's kisses. It was really great!


We left soon after midnight and walked home. Although it is a fairly long walk, no vacant cabs seemed to be coming, and on the plus side, we got to observe all the very interesting New Year's Eve behavior of people. As I have in the course of my life been on several places along the continuum of drunkenness, I can't judge. But I can be amused! :-)

So, now it is the first day of the New Year. We are just going to straighten things up around the house, catch up on our bills and correspondence with people, and I'll cook a real meal today again too. :-)

Happy New Year to all of you!


**-Playing Scotland Yard with wonderful friends in Hershey, PA was actually one of the more fun and non-bizarre New Years Celebrations we've had together. (The full post from '06)

1 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Blogger Isabel's Mommy said...

I was asleep by 9pm.

Too much food, too busy of holidays & too much to drink at dinner. Ended the year with gluttony and started the year on weight watchers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home