Saturday, February 16, 2008

Have another little piece of my heart now, baby...

In a few weeks, I will move into my thirteenth residence. If you count my long term corporate housing assignments, it will be my twentieth (and for the sake of avoiding bad omens, perhaps we'll stick with that number).

I love picking out people who are used to moving and people who aren't. As a frequent mover, I have to control the twitching when I catch someone throwing away the original packaging to something. (No! You are going to NEED that in another year)! I also understand perfectly how the same person can be so relaxed and accepting of change (because it happens all the time), but will act a bit cagey if people mess with their stuff too much. (You can move my desk five times a year, but for God's sake put down that little stuffed monkey, because it is one of the few constants I've had in the past 30 years)!

My mom and sister are also members of the frequent movers camp. They came today to help us pack and bring a *few* boxes I've had in various houses of my mother's forever. It was very nice of them to come help, because my sister is in the process of moving now and my mom is still recovering from knee surgery! However, she will not be deterred, and is probably the fastest packer I know!

Unfortunately, along with the A/V and Computer packaging, they also brought along a box with a bunch of my school papers starting from elementary school in them. This naturally was a great reminder that my neurotic behavior has been around from the beginning. I showed Tim a creative writing story I made at the age of 8, complete with cast of characters, family trees, and a developed conspiracy theory, and I think he was seriously considering making a run for the door. Good thing we have about 50 boxes blocking his exit.

In all seriousness, though, while moving over and over again seems to be the norm for me, and I am appreciative of the mental toughness that I have as a result, there is definitely something to the cliche statement of leaving little bits of your heart wherever you go. I've left pieces of myself all over the place - some places claiming bigger chunks than others. Everytime I move, I evaluate whether it is time to either reclaim some of the pieces or try to exist where the largest pieces are.

Hard to know, isn't it?

2 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger KillerRoo said...

Best of luck moving! I, too, am a frequent mover. Living in Philadelphia 5 years, I've moved 4 times. And I'm about to make it my 5th move in 2 weeks. While I have found it true that we leave bits of ourselves everywhere we spend significant amounts of time -- the reverse is also true, we take a piece of every place we live with us. A move doesn't have to be leaving bits behind, but it can help you add new bits to yourself you wouldn't have imagined! :)

-Ton

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Isabel's Mommy said...

I am not fond of moving. I like roots. But at this point I would like to just have one house in one state and one payment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home