Saturday, March 22, 2008

A New Farmers' Market and Easter Mushrooms

We didn't make it back to spend the holiday with family this year even though Easter is probably my favorite holiday*. Rather, today we continued to work on getting the apartment settled, and tomorrow, we will be at the condo.

Tim had the idea to stop by the Booth's Corner Farmers' Market this morning to see what it had to offer and get breakfast. We went to a little diner at the market run by an Amish family. Everyone was very sweet and the food came out very fast. As we were leaving, we saw the kitchen was full of women. Assuming each one of them cooks at the same rate my mom does, it more than explained the speed with which our orders came out despite the packed restaurant!

We didn't get any vegetables at the market, but they definitely have a lot there, and I'm sure we will be back!

After this it was off to the storage unit to move into a smaller unit and bring a few more boxes back to the house for us to go through. Although I wished I would have packed like this to begin with, we now have to go through all the boxes, take out what we need to keep at the apartment (or for things that add aesthetic value, want to keep), and pack the rest again to leave in the storage unit. Our initial packing was in stages and couldn't be completely organized.

By the time 3:00pm rolled around, we had the storage unit switched, unloaded the car from all the boxes we brought back with us, completed our search for a small dining room table (our first actual dining room table since Minnesota), and bought a vacuum cleaner.

We unpacked and sorted through things for the next 3 hours and then I went to Trader Joe's to get some food for our supper. I made black beans, rice, sliced avacado, and portobello mushrooms with garlic and onions. (Not the traditional Easter fare, but hey - I cooked - sort of. I admit the rice was the microwavable kind).

So, now we are a bit beat and will head to bed soon. Happy Easter everyone!

*I wondered recently why Easter had been my favorite holiday and came up with a few reasons:
1) I was early proof of my desire for individuality. Although I can appreciate the aesthetic reasons behind dressing your daughters alike for a photo, it started bugging me after awhile. I was really happy when the Easter came that we didn't have to wear the same dress.
2) It really allowed me to foster both my hoarding and organizational obsessions. Immediately upon getting an Easter basket containing candy totalling at least half my body weight, I sorted the candy into piles by size and type, found a place to store it, and proceeded not to eat it. I was always surprised when it was spoiled by the time the next Easter came around.

Tim's Note:

I'm hoping that we'll have time tommorow to do our Easter (and often Christmas, as well) tradition of watching The Life of Brian.

And after some nightmare customer service issues setting up Comcast cable, I'm currently looking for a cable provider who carries The Holy Rosary with Mother Angelica, and the Nuns of Our Lady of the Angels in bright and colorfuly crisp HD.

Some of you may remember the electronic/house/chill track I produced ("Hail, Mary") using samples from there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home